Who would forget lovable Maria in The Sound of Music? Her role as governess to the Captain’s children made her a well-loved character. In Austria, (Central Europe) the role of au pairs in host families are recognized and respected by the Austrian government. Female or male au pair candidates from Asia and Africa are considered for hiring, provided they meet the needed requirements.
Benefits of Au Pair in Austria
- The Au Pair will be match with a carefully selected Host Family who will all treat the Au Pair as family member, not as domestic servant.
- The Au Pair will be given access to an emergency phone number of the district where she will live. Video calls, phone calls to the Au Pair’s family in her home country can be arranged prior to hiring.
- There will be the chance to study at the nearest institution of learning with a variety of curriculum choices.
- The Au Pair’s preferences for age of children and other special requests are given primary consideration.
- Allowance or pocket money is usually given weekly by the host family.
- Entitled to a private room.
Responsibilities of Host Families
- The Host Family will accept the Au Pair as a member of the family and not as an employee or boarder.
- Provides the Au Pair with a private room, full board and weekly pocket money throughout his or her stay.
- Allows the Au Pair to attend classes of choice and participate in cultural festivals. This is considered a cultural exchange program.
- Allows weekends free and two weeks holiday with pocket money if the au pair stays a year.
- Responsible for the medical well being of the Au Pair.
Responsibilities of Au Pair in Austria
- The Au Pair will provide approximately 25 hours of childcare and childcare related housekeeping for the Host Family.
- As a member of the family, the Au Pair will be expected to share in light household chores along with other family members.
- To be of assistance to the Host Family and to fulfill the duties expected.
- Responsible for any personal expenses incurred while living in the home of the Host Family.
Au Pair hiring in Austria requires the following;
- Candidate must be between 18 and 25 years old.
- Has some child care experience.
- Non-smoker and non-drug user.
- Speak English.
- Commitment of 9 months Au Pair work to 12 months.
In case of dispute between the Au Pair and Host Family, agencies will assist both parties to resolve misunderstanding the soonest possible time.