RECENT BLOOD DONATION CAMPAIGN
In cooperation with Club 25 Kuwait and Kuwait Blood Bank, a Blood Donation Camp was held last November 16, 2012, Friday, from 1 to 10 pm at Kuwait Central Blood Bank.
All individuals living in Kuwait, aged 17 years old and above, those who are not undergoing any medication for any illness, and have not undergone any major surgery for the past one (1) year, have been invited and encouraged to join this generous drive.
On that day, different donors came to participate wholeheartedly and with good intentions while others supported the drive through in kind donations; to mention LBC WLL Kuwait, UAE Exchange, NADEC, Club25, Kuwait Central Blood Bank for the give aways, mugs, notepads, shirts, certificates and manpower. Mr. Amer of Pakistanis in Kuwait Blood Donor Group, Expats in Kuwait, Kamanggagawa Foundation, Friends in Kuwait, Filipino Body Builders in Kuwait, PSK, FBK and different Filipino and expatriate individuals in Kuwait.
BLOOD DONATION PREPARATION
Some people are afraid to donate blood because they don’t know what to expect from donating. But given a little more words of encouragement, they will soon come around and agree to ne blood donors.
Prospective blood donors are required to get enough sleep, preferably 8 hours the night before they donate and they are also instructed to drink lots of water. Some donors even prepare by eating meat so when they undergo iron sufficiency test, they will be qualified to donate. There must be no alcohol and medication in take 24 hours prior to donating.
Steps in donating blood
1. Have your weight taken.
2. Register and be honest in completing the donor registration form.
3. Have your blood type and hemoglobin checked.
4. A physician will conduct a blood donor examination. Those with small veins are not allowed to be donors.
5. Actual donation–the amount of blood to be donated (either 350cc or 450cc) will depend on the donor’s weight and blood pressure. It usually takes 10 minutes or less.
What to do after blood donation?
1. Drink plenty of fluid, like water or juice.
2. Refrain from stooping down after blood donation and take 5 to 10 minutes of rest.
3. Refrain from strenuous activities like:
a. Lifting heavy objects;
b. Driving big vehicles such as bus, trucks, or
c. Operating big machines.
4. Avoid using the punctured arm in lifting heavy objects.
5. Apply pressure on the punctured site and lift the arm in case the site is still bleeding.
6. If there is discoloration and swelling on the punctured site, you may apply cold compress for 24 hours.
7. If there is dizziness, just lie down with your feet elevated. Drink plenty of juice; and in just a few minutes or so, it will pass.