Last Updated on 5 months by DIARYNIGRACIA
Name: Michelle Melo
Url Address: dekaphobe.com
FB Like Page: dekaphobe
Other social network: pinterest.com/michymichymoo
Philosophy in life: Never stop learning.
Tell us something random about yourself.
I’m Michy, 26 years old, a food, travel and lifestyle blogger based in Manila, Philippines.
ABOUT YOUR BLOG
1. How, when and why did you get into the blogging industry?
I got into blogging out of boredom. I started to post random personal thoughts but ended up sharing more about the food I eat and the places I’ve been to.
- How you came up with the name for it?
dekaphobe came from triskaidekaphobia, which is fear of the number 13, which is ironic because I do love numbers and I love the number 13. I just thought that a unique name will have easier recall.
- Do you blog for a job full time? What else do you do aside from blogging?
I do blogging as a hobby. I have a full-time job as an IT Consultant for a multinational IT consulting company here in the Philippines.
- Did you choose to start blogging directly about your chosen niche or because you just saw a good way to make money from blogging?
I blog because I love sharing my experiences and I love food and travelling. Also, I didn’t know before that one can earn through blogging.
- How much time do you spend on work related to your blog(s) each week?
Probably the majority of my weekends and around 2 hours every day during weekdays.
- What do you find to be your biggest struggle as a blogger?
Creating a balance between the audience and the businesses. I deal with business owners and PR guys most of the time however I still owe my audience an honest opinion.
- How does blogging help you, in terms of life and career?
I have met a lot of awesome people through blogging, most of them are now my closest friends. In terms of career, I have become a better communicator, written and orally.
- How did you get to where you are now with your blog(s)? To what do you attribute your success? What is the next goal you hope to achieve?
Right now, I have been recognized as one of the Top Ten Food Bloggers by MoneyMax.ph. I have also been invited by several restaurants such as Aristocrat, Yabu, Dad’s World Buffet (and many more) to try their food. I have also been invited by food events to be their foodie judge and I’ll also be a speaker about mobile food photography to a group of engineering students in UP next month.
I attribute my success to friends and family who encourage me to continue with my blogging, also to my special someone who encourages me to improve on my photography skills and to my readers who continue to patronize my blog.
- Where do you see your blog(s) and yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully I’m still blogging but I would probably be blogging about my personal life by then.
- One of the hardest things for beginner bloggers is getting traffic. What tips can you give bloggers to drive traffic to a new blog?
Create your own content, write about something that you love, interact with your readers. Write as if you are talking to them. Learn about photography and writing by reading and joining seminars.
- What advice would you give to new bloggers wanting to start blogging and help them start out on a path to success?
Stick with a niche that interests you, make time to write content regularly, interact with other bloggers — comment on their blogs as well and actually read their blogs too. Be appreciative of the good feedback, ignore the negative ones.
- Describe your blog in 10 words.
The quirkiest food, travel and lifestyle blog in Manila. EVER.